Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Police job applicants to undergo lie detector test!






Candidates for the Nigerian Police cadet examination file for accreditation at the Okaka centre in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State on Monday. The Nigerian Police says candidates will be subjected to background checks and lie detector test. PHOTO: NAN
Candidates for the Nigerian Police cadet examination file for accreditation at the Okaka centre in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State on Monday. The Nigerian Police says candidates will be subjected to background checks and lie detector test. PHOTO: NAN
The Nigeria Police Force said successful candidates in the ongoing recruitment into the Service would undergo a compulsory polygraph test.
This is contained in a statement issued by the Force Spokesman, Deputy Commissioner of Police, (DCP) Don Awunah, in Abuja on Tuesday.
Awunah said the test would be in addition to the general background check, biometrics, medical, physical examination, aptitude, oral and psychological tests.


He said that the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris, who gave the directive, expressed satisfaction with the recruitment so far. Idris said that no candidate would be admitted for training at the Police Academy and colleges without undergoing these prescribed tests.
Awunah said that the test was aimed at ensuring that candidates recruited into the police were not of questionable character.
He said the Police Academy and other training Colleges across the country would be equipped to conduct the necessary tests.
The spokesman said the Police Force was determined to ensure that the exercise conformed to acceptable standards.
NAN reports that the commission had shortlisted 110, 469 out of the 338,250 candidates for the aptitude tests from the 991,438 applications received.
NAN also reports that the 110,469 comprised of 22, 454 for Cadet ASPs, 24, 456 for Cadet Inspectors and 63,559 for Police Constables.

United States Secretary of State, John Kerry in Nigeria, warns against military crackdowns.

 


United States Secretary of State John Kerry (L) talks with the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigerian National Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) Muhammadu Sa'ad Abubakar during his visit to his palace in Sokoto, on August 23, 2016. Kerry, who is on a three-nation tour is in Nigeria to discuss counterterrorism efforts, the Nigerian economy, the fight against corruption, and human rights issues. / AFP PHOTO / PIUS UTOMI EKPEI
United States Secretary of State John Kerry (L) talks with the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigerian National Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar during his visit to his palace in Sokoto, on August 23, 2016.
Kerry, who is on a three-nation tour is in Nigeria to discuss counterterrorism efforts, the Nigerian economy, the fight against corruption, and human rights issues.
US Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday congratulated Nigeria on its recent military successes against Boko Haram, but warned the country will face a blowback if it “cracks down” on the Islamists with excessive force. Speaking at a press conference in the northern city of Sokoto, Kerry praised Nigeria for reclaiming swathes of territory from Boko Haram and releasing thousands of hostages over the past year.
Nigeria has made “important progress”, Kerry said. “Nigeria and its neighbours are degrading Boko Haram’s capabilities.”
But Kerry cautioned against a heavy-handed response and emphasised respect for human rights.
“In the wake of terrorist activity, some are tempted to crack down on anyone and everyone,” Kerry said.
“But extremism can’t be defeated through repression or fear. Fear instilled through repression invites not confidence but contempt,” Kerry said, “it creates terrorists.”
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have accused Nigerian troops of excessive force and extra-judicial killings of suspected Boko Haram insurgents, hundreds of Shiite Muslims and pro-Biafra protestors. The military has denied the charges.
On his third visit to Nigeria in less than two years, Kerry met with traditional and religious leaders, including Sokoto Sultan Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar.
Kerry appealed to Nigerians to practise equality and tolerance to “overcome deep-seated ethnic and religious divisions.”
His remarks come one day after police reported that a Muslim mob in northern Nigeria killed eight people after torching the house of a Muslim man who stood up for a Christian student accused of blasphemy.
Kerry is due to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari later on Tuesday in the Nigerian capital of Abuja as part of a three-nation tour focussed on counterterrorism.
The top US diplomat, who was in Kenya on Monday, is expected to discuss the Boko Haram insurgency, fighting corruption and boosting Nigeria’s moribund economy that has been pummelled by the drop in global oil prices.
In its quest to create a fundamentalist Islamic state Boko Haram has killed more than 20,000 people and displaced 2.6 million from their homes.
With homes and businesses destroyed and farmland devastated, the United Nations has warned that some 50,000 children could starve to death this year in Borno state alone if nothing is done.
Earlier in August the US government pledged $37 million in aid for victims of Boko Haram as fears of a famine mounted in the ravaged Lake Chad region.

Rivers Monorail Project No Longer Tenable After Gulping N33.9b, Says Technical Partner.





AFTER receiving over N22 billion for its services, the technical partners to the Rivers State government on the controversial Monorail project, ARCUS GIBBS Nig Ltd, has said the project was no longer tenable.
The company also disclosed that the planned commissioning of the first phase of the project in April by the immediate past administration of former governor Chibuike Amaechi was a hoax.
The revelation was made by the Managing Director of ARCUS GIBBS Nig Ltd, Wiero Viguezang, while testifying before the Justice George Omereji-led Judicial Commission of Inquiry on the sale of valued Rivers State assets by the Amaechi administration in Port Harcourt yesterday.
Viguezang said his company, which the Rivers State government engaged on March 1, 2010, to construct the multi-million Monorail project, was of the view that the project, which has gulped well over N33.9 billion, was no longer tenable, due to paucity of funds to proceed with the project.
He admitted that so far, ARCUS GIBBS Nig Ltd has received a total of N22.9bn from the Rivers State government through the Ministry of Transport since March 1, 2010.
According to him, paucity of funds and the seeming failure of the state government’s original technical and equity partners, TSI Nig Ltd, headed by the former military administrator of Rivers State, retired Brig-Gen Anthony Ukpo, to contribute its 80 per cent equity holdings, means the state cannot continue with the project.
Responding to a memo written by ARCUS GIBBS Nig Ltd to former Commissioner of Transport, Geroge Tolofari, which was tendered by the legal counsel to the commission, Dr. Zaccheus Adangor, as evidence, Viguezang admitted that his company had written the memo for a pseudo unveiling of the technically uncompleted monorail with a view to using the media to deceive anxious Rivers people.
“We actually wrote to the Ministry of Transport in January to arrange for the governor to unveil the monorail project in April for the attention and coverage of the media based on the expectation of the people of the state,” he said.
He added: “Apart from the media coverage and public attention that it was expected to generate, the monorail was not technically and commercially ready. Only Phase 1A within Phase 1 of the project was ready.”
Many people have started crying foul! saying that it was just one of those hoaxes that his government used to syphon funds. we shall update as events unfold.